Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's already happening... It happens every single year about this time... I'm not suprised by it but it does bother the heck out of me... The thing I am refering to has, in recent years, pushed me to dislike Christmas. I complained about Christmas so much one year that my Mom-in-law gave me a Grinch neck tie as a joke. I have come back to liking Christmas since then, but I still have some major problems with some people and their love of this holiday.

Don't stop reading now. Don't send me hate mail or negative comments telling me that I hate baby Jesus. I don't want you to assume that I am anti-family, anti-giving, anti-presents etc. Please hear me out.

I'll spare you the long story about my childhood, a tanish station-wagon and long nights driving through neighbourhoods looking at Christmas lights with my family. I love my family, I just hate Christmas lights. I think I'd rather chew on a broken bottle or maybe try to swallow the jagged shards of a chicken bone... I don't know if my past has anything to do with my dislike of the currently popular pre-Christmas festivities. It might. Either way, I have problems.

I don't like Christmas lights being put out during October or 80% of November. They don't belong. They are freaking CHRISTMAS lights. I don't like it when people begin displaying their fully decorated Christmas Tree before Thanksgiving. I want to destroy things when I hear dorky Christmas music playing in the mall before December 1. Please, if you are a Christmas enjoyer, by all means, live it up! Shop till you drop, decorate your house, wear your favorite puff-paint Christmas sweatshirt every day as long as it is December. On the flip side, most of us don't leave out our Christmas stuff until Feruary...do we? If you do, please put it up around New Years or so.

Dear Christmas over lover, by the time Christmas gets here I'm usually already tired of it. You have made me tired of it because you skipped over Thanksgiving. Because you sang your stupid Amy Grant Christmas album over and over and over. Because you talk about things like Christmas cheer and then you turn around and return all of your Christmas gifts because you would rather have gotten something else.

I think my main problem is that most people completely skip over a time of "giving thanks", being grateful and acknowledging our blessings to get to a time of over spending, over wanting and over doing. We might all enjoy Christmas a little more if we went into that season after coming out of a time of being thankful. We all have so much already and most of us don't think twice about where or who what we have came from because we are already focusing on getting more.

I like the Charlie Brown Christmas special. In it, I think Linus says that Christmas has become "over commercialized". I agree with you Linus. That is a good observation for a kid who carries a blanket, sucks his thumb and has a huge dent in his head.

If you are planning on pulling out the Christmas decor soon, I would ask you to rethink. Wait until after Thanksgiving. Go into celebrating the birth of Christ on the heals of Thanksgiving. Give it a try. I think you'll like it.

12 comments:

Joshua "Doc" Wible said...

I guess I got all the Christmas cheer in our family. Im one of those, "cant wait for Christmas" people. I love walking through the stores and seeing the Christmas decorations, hearing the Christmas music (most of it anyways) and dreaming of a white Christmas. I cant wait to put the lights up on my house (however I will be waiting until after Thanksgiving).

I agree with my brother about Christmas running over Thanksgiving, and I dont think thats right. So heres to Thanksgiving!

Matt Wible, WATX Outfitter said...

Dear Doc, you love Christmas so much because mom and dad got you all of the good presents when we were kids. I got the left-overs...
Totally kidding!

Anonymous said...

Mele Kalikimaka, you butt hole.

Leish said...

Well, I'm a Christmas lover, and I'm sure I've been one to lead to your shorts being torqued in the past 5 years...lol

I'm scared to say this in your presense but...
I worked in the retail world long enough to know, that at 9pm, Oct. 31st, is when the malls bring out the Christmas lights. I love it, but that's because I'm a frilly girl, and red happens to be my favorite frilly color, and there's lots of frilly decorations that I can't resist. Christmas time is a party fest for my eyes. I personally like the esthetic of it.

But that's not all why I get excited. I love the meaning, and I love that the birth of Christ is in the face of all the world to see, even those who deny him have to know that this season has a real meaning. How can they not see that with all the nativity sceenes and songs like "Silent night...round yon virgin, mother and child" or "Oh holy night...it is the night of our dear saviour's birth"

I try to wait as long as I can to bring out the decor and the Burl Ives Christmas cd's so as not to appear like a Christmas fool. But unfortunately for you, I decorate early. All the power to me...I guess. lol Mike just laughs at me.

I love ya like a brother! Miss you guys and can't wait to see you all and baby!

Matt Wible, WATX Outfitter said...

leish- I love you too despite your abuse of the Christmas season. Only joking. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anonymous said...

Dude I'm with you on this one!! I HATE Christmas music as a kid my mom and my brother Travis had the Home Alone soundtrack and it had all Christmas songs!! So from November till January that was playing in the car!

My mom all ways made us put up the freaking tree before thanksgiving JUST TO MAKE THE HOUSE LOOK NICE so she said...nothing looks better then a HUGE plastic tree in the living room....in October

Matt Wible, WATX Outfitter said...

gravy- I'm with you on this one. Plastic Christmas trees suck and real ones are worse.

benji said...

I agree with you matt people that put up their christmas to early have no life. only joking. It just looks stupid to have it up already and we haven't even celebrated thanksgiving yet!

rocker4christ23 said...

lol haha i totally agree with you on the whole deal. christmas is cool and fun and great...but dude thanksgiving comes first, just like you said...yeah u are totally right on this thing

Leish said...

Dawn- I agree with you! lol For me, it's not about which holiday gets it's turn on the calendar first, it's about the meaning. Thanksgiving is so close to Christmas it's all in one deal...to me. lol

Matt- love the comment about my abuse of the season. I laughed out loud, I thought I'd wake up Jack! (ok, not really that loud!)

Kate said...

We Canadians have it made!! Our Thanksgiving is in Oct.(2nd, week) so we get our Thanksgiving over, (and I personally would like to cut out Halloween) and we can get ready for Christmas .....like pretty much... right away!!I checked out your blog via Leisha.

Suldog said...

A year late, but...

http://jimsuldog.blogspot.com/2007/11/thanksgiving-comes-first_12.html

My sentiments exactly :-)