Monday, February 19, 2007

Like, What is the Deal With, Like, Saying "Like"?
Have you noticed how many times people use the word "like" in conversations? Most of us say this from time to time but what once was reserved for "valley girls" is now commonly used, or more like over used, by people every where.
The over use of the word "like" is mainly because people don't know how to verbally communicate very well. People, especially young people, communicate so much through text messages, IMing, email, etc., spoken conversation has become a form of art. People "talk" online and a single word is never spoken. So, when we have to speak, we, like, don't know, like, what to, like, say.
"Like" is used as a filler word or as a transition word. Sometimes "like" is used back to back. What does that even mean? "Like, like".
One of my favorites is when someone uses "like" before a feeling or emotion. "I was so, like, mad at her." My thought on that statement...were you mad or were you something similar to mad? I don't get it.
In some conversations, "like" is about 25-30% of the words used. Unbelievable.
There are appropriate times to use "like". An example, "I like you." Not, "I like, like you."
Try to notice the over use of "like". Try to stop over using it and misusing it. This word is over worked and deserves a vacation. Let's all take up the cause of "like"! Let's take this message to the world! If we join together we can make a difference!

3 comments:

Joshua "Doc" Wible said...

Hey, like, I'm like, so like, totally like, offended by your like, statements here. I mean, like, whats the big, like deal? I like, like dont even, like know what, like your trying to like say. Let people like, say what like ever, they like want to. What are you, like some kind of, like old person?

Anonymous said...

Yet again, Homer the Old Man Pilgrim strikes again!

Dude, you need to lighten up. Do yourself a favor and submit to pop culture. It will make your ride on earth a little smoother!

Like,
FA

MIDN Frazier said...

Woooo! Way to go Matt! I love it! Its true "like" does need a vacation! I'll see if I can "like" keep an eye on it!